Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing to move their family back to the United Kingdom, six years after leaving Britain and establishing a new life in the United States.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex plan to relocate later this month with their two children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, according to reports cited by Trending Politics News.
The family is expected to establish its primary residence at a privately owned property outside London. Archie and Lilibet have also reportedly been enrolled in a British school ahead of the new academic year beginning in September.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the relocation while emphasizing that Harry and Meghan will continue living as private citizens. The move will not restore either of them to their previous positions as working members of the royal family.
King Charles III was reportedly informed about the couple’s decision on Sunday.
The development comes after Harry and Meghan traveled to Britain with their children in July and met with the King at his Highgrove residence in Gloucestershire.
That gathering marked the first time Charles had reportedly seen Archie and Lilibet in person since 2022. The Palace characterized the meeting as a private family occasion.
People familiar with the situation said Charles welcomes having additional opportunities to see Harry, Meghan and his grandchildren on a personal basis. Prince William and Princess Catherine have also reportedly been informed about the family’s plans.
Harry and Meghan’s return represents a significant change from the decision that transformed their relationship with the royal family more than six years ago.
In January 2020, the couple announced they intended to step back from their positions as senior royals and pursue greater independence.
They left the United Kingdom in March of that year, initially staying in Canada before eventually settling in Montecito, California.
Since then, Harry and Meghan have pursued several projects outside the royal family. Meghan has also developed her lifestyle brand, As Ever.
Despite returning to Britain, the couple reportedly plans to retain its Montecito residence as well as a vacation property in Portugal, per Trending Politics.
It remains unclear whether the move to Britain will ultimately become permanent. The United Kingdom is expected to serve as the family’s primary base for an extended period, but the exact location of their new residence has not been publicly disclosed.
Details surrounding their children’s school are similarly being kept private.
The relocation also raises questions about security arrangements for Harry and his family.
Harry has previously raised concerns about protection while visiting Britain after he lost automatic taxpayer-funded police protection following his departure from royal duties.
The Home Office has previously said decisions involving protective security are handled through the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures.
Neither Harry nor Meghan has publicly provided a detailed explanation for why they decided to return to Britain. According to the report, information about the relocation has instead emerged through sources familiar with the plans, representatives and Buckingham Palace.
Despite the move, the couple’s formal relationship with the monarchy is not expected to change. Harry and Meghan will remain non-working royals rather than returning to official royal duties.
