A Cincinnati mother and two trans-identifying defendants have been charged with murder and child endangerment in connection after police discovered the 7-year-old unresponsive inside a closet, where investigators say he had been bound with duct tape.
Authorities identified the boy as William Evans, who lived with his mother, Kaitlin Evans, 38, and the two male defendants, Nessa Keaney, 23, and Kirby Rankin, 33, in a residence on Madison Road in Cincinnati’s Oakley neighborhood.
Cincinnati police responded to the residence at about 1 p.m. Thursday following a report of a possible disturbance.
Officers found William inside the home and determined that he was unresponsive. Police said the child had been duct-taped and placed inside a closet.
The Cincinnati Police Homicide Unit is investigating his death as a homicide.
All three pleaded not guilty during arraignments before Hamilton County Municipal Court Judge Rodney Harris.
During Friday’s hearing, a veteran homicide detective told the court the investigation ranked among the most disturbing child-abuse cases he had encountered during more than two decades in law enforcement.
The detective testified that William had suffered injuries consistent with physical beatings, including blunt-force injuries to his face, torso, back, and extremities, as well as impact injuries to the back of his head, according to WCPO.
The detective also testified that investigators believe William was submerged underwater for a prolonged period.
He also told the court that investigators observed evidence of burns.
Prosecutors said the abuse may have continued for more than two months and indicated that additional charges could be filed after investigators receive the final autopsy results.
According to testimony, Rankin disclosed involvement in what investigators described as prolonged child abuse and implicated Evans and Keaney as active participants.
Rankin’s attorney requested a competency evaluation, citing documented mental health concerns. Judge Harris ordered the evaluation, with Rankin scheduled to return to court Sept. 4.
The defense attorneys disputed the extent of their clients’ alleged involvement.
Evans’ attorney, Brandon Fox, argued that evidence would show another defendant caused William’s death and characterized the case against Evans as involving a failure to act.
Keaney’s attorney similarly told the court that he attempted to provide treatment after the child was injured by someone else in the home and argued that he was the least culpable defendant.
The boy’s father also attended the hearing and addressed Evans in court, according to WKRC.
The father, whose name was not released, was not charged.
He said that William was his life and alleged that the defendants had prevented him from seeing his son for nine months.
He became emotional while speaking during the proceedings.
William was described in court records as developmentally disabled.
Police and prosecutors have not indicated that additional children were involved in the case, and authorities have said they do not believe there is an ongoing threat to the public.
Investigators continue reviewing evidence from the residence and interviewing witnesses as they work to establish the circumstances surrounding the child’s death.
The Hamilton County Coroner’s Office conducted an autopsy Friday but had not determined an official cause of death at the time of the hearing.
Officials said additional information was still being gathered and that the findings could affect the charges filed in the case. Prosecutors are also expected to present the case to a grand jury.
Judge Harris set a bond for each defendant at $1.1 million, consisting of $1 million on the murder charge and $100,000 on the child-endangerment charge.
All three defendants remain in custody while the case proceeds.
WATCH:
