Top Trump Official Quits

image

A top White House national security official is leaving the Trump administration as tensions with Iran continue to escalate and negotiations aimed at resolving the conflict remain stalled.

White House Deputy National Security Adviser Andy Baker will depart the administration in the coming weeks after serving as one of President Donald Trump’s key foreign policy advisers, Axios reported Friday.

Baker, a longtime ally of Vice President J.D. Vance, has been deeply involved in the administration’s foreign policy and national security decision-making over the past 18 months.

His departure comes at a particularly sensitive moment for the administration, with the conflict involving Iran continuing and diplomatic efforts struggling to produce a lasting resolution.

Baker was personally involved in negotiations with Iran this year and played a significant role in shaping the administration’s approach to the country.

“This has been an amazing journey. I’m proud of everything we’ve achieved and, of course, am incredibly grateful to the President, Vice President, and Secretary Rubio,” Baker told Axios.

A source close to Baker said his departure is motivated by a desire to spend more time with his family.

The source said Baker had actually planned to leave months earlier but remained in the administration longer than initially intended to help ensure an orderly transition.

Baker’s resignation comes as Iran tensions have intensified around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important shipping routes.

The United Arab Emirates accused Iran of launching drone attacks against two tankers owned by a state-run oil company as the vessels traveled through the Strait of Hormuz, according to reports Friday. No casualties were reported.

The developments have further complicated attempts to reach a diplomatic resolution with Tehran.

Baker had been among the administration officials involved in negotiations with Iran, making his departure particularly notable as talks remain at an impasse.

The longtime foreign policy adviser began his government career as a Foreign Service officer at the State Department.

He later joined Vance’s Senate office as his national security adviser before following him into the White House after Trump and Vance won the 2024 presidential election.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Baker initially served as Vance’s national security adviser before assuming the White House deputy national security adviser position.

Despite maintaining a relatively low public profile, Baker emerged as an influential figure inside the administration and played a role in some of its most consequential foreign policy decisions.

Vance praised his longtime adviser following news of his departure.

“Andy is an exceptionally gifted, deeply thoughtful advisor who has served the President and me with distinction,” Vance said.

“He has been an indispensable member of our administration’s national security team.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio also praised Baker, describing him as an important member of Trump’s foreign policy operation, according to the Daily Mail.

Rubio called Baker “an invaluable asset and key member of the President’s national security team who has greatly advanced the America First agenda.”

Trump special envoy Steve Witkoff similarly said Baker had worked to advance the president’s objectives around the world.

“From day one, Andy has worked tirelessly to put America first and get deals done for the President around the world,” Witkoff said.

The White House already has plans in place for continuity following Baker’s departure.

Cliff Sims, who replaced Baker as Vance’s national security adviser earlier this summer, will remain in that position, while Mike Needham will continue serving as a White House deputy national security adviser.

Baker is expected to move into the private sector following his departure and potentially work with Robert O’Brien, who served as Trump’s national security adviser during his first administration.

The resignation also follows another significant departure from Trump’s White House.

Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt announced earlier this week that she would leave her position, making Baker the second high-ranking administration official to announce his departure within days.

By Reece Walker

Reece Walker covers news and politics with a focus on exposing public and private policies proposed by governments, unelected globalists, bureaucrats, Big Tech companies, defense departments, and intelligence agencies.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x