World Champion Sports Icon Murdered

Two-time world champion boxer Zolani Tete was shot and killed Friday evening in an apparent ambush outside his home in South Africa. He was 38.

Tete was arriving at his residence in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, at approximately 6:30 p.m. when two armed suspects wearing balaclavas approached his vehicle as he waited for the gate to open, according to police.

The suspects emerged from another vehicle and opened fire on Tete and a 27-year-old woman who was traveling with him.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Nobuntu Gantana said Tete attempted to escape the gunfire by driving his vehicle into the property.

“He unfortunately succumbed to his injuries and was declared deceased on the scene,” Gantana said.

The woman suffered multiple gunshot wounds and was transported to a nearby hospital, where she remained hospitalized.

The two suspects fled the scene and remained at large. Authorities have not announced a motive for the shooting.

Tete was one of South Africa’s most accomplished boxers, winning world championships in two weight divisions during his professional career.

He captured the IBF junior bantamweight championship in 2014 before later becoming WBO bantamweight champion, holding that title from 2017 until 2019.

Tete also holds a Guinness World Record for the fastest knockout in a world title fight.

During a 2017 defense against Siboniso Gonya, Tete landed a devastating right hand that ended the fight after only 11 seconds.

His most recent professional appearance came against Jason Cunningham in London in July 2022. Tete initially won the fight by knockout, recording what would have been his 30th professional victory in 35 bouts.

The result was later changed to a no-contest after Tete tested positive for the prohibited substance stanozolol.

The UK Anti-Doping Agency subsequently handed him a four-year suspension. Tete maintained that he was a clean athlete and disputed the findings.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

His ban ended July 29, and Tete had been preparing to return to professional boxing.

Manager Mla Tengimfene said Tete was training for a comeback fight scheduled for Nov. 29.

Earlier this year, Tete told The Ring that he intended to resume his career, according to the Daily Mail.

“Oh yes definitely, my plan is still unfinished,” Tete said when asked whether he would fight again. “It’s been a while since I stepped inside the ring, I am looking forward to my comeback fight and getting back to winning ways.”

Tributes poured in following news of his death.

Boxing South Africa described Tete as an “icon of South African boxing” and praised the impact of his career.

“Zolani Tete was more than a champion,” the organization said. “He etched his name in history as one of the country’s few two-weight world champions.”

The organization added that his accomplishments “inspired a generation of fighters.”

“We extend our deepest condolences to his family, friends, and the entire boxing fraternity,” Boxing South Africa said. “The sport has lost a true warrior and ambassador.”

By Reece Walker

Reece Walker covers news and politics with a focus on exposing public and private policies proposed by governments, unelected globalists, bureaucrats, Big Tech companies, defense departments, and intelligence agencies.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x