Woke DA Sparks Firestorm Over Rare ICE Move

A Minneapolis shooting involving a federal immigration officer has escalated into a high-profile legal clash after Minnesota prosecutors filed criminal charges and issued a nationwide arrest warrant in connection with a January enforcement operation. 

Minnesota officials have charged U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer Christian Castro with four counts of second-degree assault with a deadly weapon and one count of falsely reporting a crime stemming from the Jan. 14 encounter involving Venezuelan national Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis. 

Prosecutors allege Castro fired a round during a pursuit inside a Minneapolis apartment complex while conducting immigration enforcement operations tied to “Operation Metro Surge.” 

Early descriptions from federal officials characterized the incident as a rapidly unfolding confrontation in which ICE agents believed they were facing resistance while attempting to detain multiple individuals. 

That account was later reexamined after investigators reviewed surveillance footage, physical evidence, and medical records, prompting prosecutors to challenge key portions of the original narrative and reconsider how the use of force was justified, according to NewsNation.

As the investigation progressed, evidence reconstruction shifted attention away from the initial claims of a sustained struggle. 

Prosecutors now argue that available video and forensic analysis do not support the depiction of officers being overwhelmed at the moment the shot was fired. 

The review instead focused on whether the discharge of the weapon occurred under conditions that met legal standards for deadly force in a residential environment. 

According to investigators, the bullet struck Sosa-Celis in the leg before continuing through interior barriers inside the apartment and coming to rest in a bedroom wall, The Hill reported.

Authorities highlighted the round’s trajectory as a key factor in assessing risk to bystanders, noting that multiple individuals, including children, were present in the residence during the incident.

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty has argued that the circumstances surrounding the shooting do not align with lawful justification for deadly force. 

“Mr. Castro is an ICE agent, but his federal badge does not make him immune from state charges for his criminal conduct in Minnesota,” she stated, emphasizing that federal authority does not override state criminal jurisdiction.

ICE leadership pushed back sharply after charges were announced, describing the prosecution as “unlawful” and a “political stunt” directed by Minnesota officials, according to the New York Post. 

The agency maintained that federal investigators are conducting their own review of the incident and examining statements made by officers involved in the operation, with potential disciplinary consequences still under consideration. 

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

“Lying under oath is a serious federal offense,” Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons previously said in reference to the broader inquiry into conflicting accounts from officers involved in the operation. 

The agency has reiterated that personnel are subject to strict standards of conduct and that any violations will be addressed through both internal discipline and potential legal action. 

State officials argue that the incident occurred entirely within Minnesota’s jurisdiction and falls squarely under state prosecutorial authority, regardless of federal employment status.

A second, separate case involving an ICE officer tied to the same broader enforcement period has also drawn attention in Minnesota.

Resist the Mainstream previously reported that prosecutors charged another officer accused of allegedly pointing a firearm at motorists while returning to a federal facility near Minneapolis.

State officials said that case, like Castro’s, raised additional concerns about conduct during enforcement operations, though it remains legally distinct from the apartment shooting case.

The Castro case has now become the central legal fight, with parallel state and federal reviews continuing.

Minnesota prosecutors say they intend to pursue the matter fully in court, while federal officials maintain internal investigations are ongoing.

The outcome is expected to shape how future disputes between state authorities and immigration enforcement agencies are handled nationwide.

WATCH:

By Reece Walker

Reece Walker covers news and politics with a focus on exposing public and private policies proposed by governments, unelected globalists, bureaucrats, Big Tech companies, defense departments, and intelligence agencies.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x