The United States military is developing plans for a potential weeks-long military operation against Iran, marking a significant escalation in contingency planning between the two nations, according to two US officials who spoke with Reuters.
The revelation comes as diplomatic efforts continue between Washington and Tehran, with talks held in Oman last week aimed at addressing Iran’s nuclear program.
The planning represents a departure from previous limited strikes and could signal the most serious confrontation between the countries to date.
President Donald Trump addressed US troops Friday at a North Carolina base, acknowledging difficulties in reaching an agreement with Iran.
“Sometimes you have to have fear. That’s the only thing that really will get the situation taken care of,” Trump said.
The military buildup in the Middle East has intensified in recent days.
The Pentagon announced Friday it would deploy an additional aircraft carrier to the region, bringing thousands more troops along with fighter aircraft, guided-missile destroyers and expanded offensive and defensive capabilities.
White House spokesperson Anna Kelly confirmed the administration’s stance when asked about preparations for sustained military action. “President Trump has all options on the table with regard to Iran,” Kelly stated, according to reporting from The Jerusalem Post.
Kelly added that the president considers multiple viewpoints on issues but ultimately decides based on what serves the country’s national security interests best. The Pentagon declined to provide comment on the matter, said the Post.
The current planning differs substantially from last year’s approach, officials indicated. In June, the United States conducted Operation Midnight Hammer, deploying stealth bombers from American soil to strike Iranian nuclear facilities in what was essentially a single attack.
Iran’s response to that operation was measured, with only a limited retaliatory strike against a US base in Qatar. Two aircraft carriers were positioned in the region during that timeframe.
The scope of potential operations under current consideration extends beyond nuclear infrastructure, according to one official.
Iranian state and security facilities could be targeted in a sustained campaign, though specific details were not disclosed due to the sensitive nature of the planning.
Military analysts note that extended operations would expose US forces to greater risk. Iran possesses a substantial missile arsenal, and any American military action would likely trigger Iranian counterstrikes.
Officials anticipate Iran would respond to US strikes, potentially creating a cycle of attacks and reprisals spanning an extended period. The White House and Pentagon did not address questions regarding retaliation risks or the possibility of broader regional conflict, said the Post.
The president has issued repeated warnings about potential military action against Iran over its nuclear weapons program, ballistic missile development, and suppression of domestic opposition.
“It must be very traumatic, very traumatic,” Trump said Thursday when discussing alternatives to diplomacy.
The Post further noted that Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have issued their own warnings, stating they would target any US military installation if Iranian territory comes under attack.
American forces maintain a substantial presence across the Middle East. US military bases are located throughout the region in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, and Turkey, all of which could potentially face retaliation.
