Swalwell Devastation Worsens

Former Rep. Eric Swalwell’s (D-CA) campaign committee spent another $150,000 on legal fees over six weeks as the former California congressman continues defending himself against sexual misconduct allegations that ended his political career.

According to campaign finance disclosures filed Friday, Swalwell’s campaign paid approximately $150,000 to the law firm Coblentz Patch Duffy & Bass LLP between May 17 and June 30.

The latest payments follow an earlier $50,000 paid to the same firm before May 16, bringing the campaign’s recent legal spending to roughly $200,000.

The firm declined to comment on the representation.

According to campaign records, Swalwell has retained Coblentz Patch Duffy & Bass for legal services since 2016, paying the firm more than $300,000 over the years for matters his campaign has described as responses to “politically motivated actors.”

The continued legal spending comes despite Swalwell’s resignation from Congress and suspension of his gubernatorial campaign earlier this year.

Campaign finance filings show the committee remains active while covering his legal expenses.

Swalwell is also facing scrutiny over additional campaign expenditures connected to his legal defense, per the New York Post.

California ethics investigators are continuing to examine more than $300,000 in payments made from campaign funds to celebrity defense attorney Sara Azari, who has publicly defended Swalwell against the allegations.

A spokesperson for the California Fair Political Practices Commission said there have been no updates regarding the investigation.

Swalwell’s political downfall began in April after multiple women accused him of rape, sexual assault and other misconduct in reports published by the San Francisco Chronicle and CNN.

Swalwell has denied the allegations while acknowledging what he described as “mistakes in judgment.”

Days after the allegations became public, he suspended his campaign for governor before resigning from Congress.

According to the report, Swalwell is also the subject of criminal investigations by prosecutors in Manhattan and Los Angeles County involving alleged rape incidents.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

No criminal charges have been announced.

The legal controversy has also prompted bipartisan legislative action in Congress.

This week, Rep. Ro Khanna (D-CA) and Rep. Anna Paulina Luna (R-FL) introduced legislation that would prohibit federal candidates from using campaign funds to pay legal expenses related to sexual misconduct allegations.

Under the proposal, campaign funds could not be used for attorney fees, settlements, judgments or private investigators connected to sexual misconduct claims.

The legislation would allow reimbursement only if a candidate is ultimately found not liable.

“Our bipartisan legislation addresses a basic principle: money donated to support a political campaign should not become a personal legal-defense fund for alleged sexual misconduct,” Khanna said in a statement.

According to the report, Swalwell has previously drawn criticism for campaign expenditures on items including chauffeured transportation, alcohol deliveries and babysitting services.

By Reece Walker

Reece Walker covers news and politics with a focus on exposing public and private policies proposed by governments, unelected globalists, bureaucrats, Big Tech companies, defense departments, and intelligence agencies.

Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x