A congressman accused of domestic violence is taking an unusual step to fight back: he’s asking Congress to investigate him.
Rep. Max Miller, an Ohio Republican, revealed Tuesday that he plans to file paperwork requesting a House ethics probe into his own conduct. The move comes as pressure mounts over abuse allegations from his former wife.
Miller broke the news himself, posting a statement on X that framed the investigation as a path toward vindication rather than accountability.
“In light of all the renewed interest in my family affairs I am going to file my own paperwork for an ethics investigation into myself to clear my name from these horrific attacks on myself and family,” he wrote.
He went further, promising transparency and expressing confidence that scrutiny would ultimately vindicate him.
“I have absolutely nothing to hide. We will be providing the committee all necessary documents needed for a detail examination. The accusations continue to change, but my facts stay the same. I am looking forward to my colleagues reading everything for themselves,” Miller wrote.
The timing is notable. Three months have passed since the Daily Mail first broke the story, publishing claims from Miller’s ex-wife, Emily Moreno, who happens to be the daughter of sitting Ohio Sen. Bernie Moreno, also a Republican.
That May 7 report featured images purporting to show bruising Emily Moreno suffered in alleged violent episodes with Miller.
According to Moreno’s account to the Daily Mail, the most recent alleged assault happened Feb. 1 during a handoff of the couple’s 2-year-old daughter at Miller’s house.
Law enforcement records appear to back up part of her account. The Daily Beast reported that Bay Village police confirmed officers were dispatched to Miller’s residence that day.
The allegations don’t stop there. An earlier alleged incident from June 2024 involves claims that Miller hurled a pot of boiling water at his then-wife during a confrontation.
Hours after that incident, Miller reportedly wrote his wife a letter of apology — one that expressed remorse without directly acknowledging any abuse occurred.
“I don’t know what to do,” the letter read. “I do know you love me, protect me, and care for me. I failed to do that for you. I’m sorry and I just want to close my eyes and wake up and everything be normal.”
The message grew more emotional as it continued, referencing the couple’s daughter by name.
“I know that won’t happen. I’m sorry I failed you and Ruth. It’s eating me alive. I love you, even if you think I don’t. I love you so much. I’m so sorry. I’m just a f*** up and worthless,” Miller wrote.
Miller has consistently rejected the allegations in public. After the Daily Mail story broke, he posted an extensive thread on X disputing every claim against him.
The scandal has now reached the White House. Axios reported that President Donald Trump called Miller on Aug. 3 specifically to discuss his reelection chances in light of the controversy.
The publication detailed what was said during that conversation.
“On the call, the president told Miller that ‘things aren’t looking good’ and repeatedly said his reelection would be tough,” Axios reported. “Miller, who denies hurting his wife and child, told the president he is staying in the race.”
Despite the president’s reported skepticism, Miller isn’t backing down. He has pointed to his campaign’s internal polling numbers as evidence that voters remain in his corner politically.
Trump had already weighed in publicly before placing that call, choosing his words carefully when addressing reporters about the situation.
“I know Max, he’s a good person, I mean I always thought he was a very good person,” Trump said, declining to render judgment on the underlying allegations.
He indicated the matter was ultimately a private one. “And I’m going to let the families figure that out,” Trump said.
Miller’s self-initiated ethics review would place his personal records and communications before House investigators for formal examination.
No date has been set for when the ethics committee will act on Miller’s request or begin reviewing whatever documentation his team submits.
The Ohio Republican now heads into his 2026 reelection campaign carrying both a pending scandal and a self-imposed investigation, with the president’s public doubts adding another layer of uncertainty to his political trajectory.
