A Saturday evening dinner rush inside a Washington, D.C. restaurant became the scene of a full-scale juvenile brawl, as teens hurled chairs and threw punches while families with young children scrambled for safety just one night after the city’s top federal prosecutor drew a hard line against out-of-control youth.
The Metropolitan Police Department received a call at 8:41 p.m. Saturday reporting a large fight underway inside the Chipotle on the 1200 block of First Street SE in the Navy Yard neighborhood.
Officers were already monitoring a large group nearby and reached the restaurant within one minute. When they arrived, every juvenile involved had already fled.
Footage of the incident circulated widely across social media platforms. The videos showed approximately eight adolescents exchanging punches and using restaurant furniture as weapons.
Several of the teens wore medical masks, an apparent effort to obscure their faces and avoid identification. Families with children dining nearby were driven into a corner of the restaurant as the chaos unfolded around them.
According to an MPD police report, the confrontation began as a verbal dispute between two groups of juveniles before it escalated into a physical altercation. The report states, “There was no report of injuries or damage.”
Chipotle Chief Corporate Affairs Officer Laurie Schalow issued a statement: “At Chipotle, the health and safety of our employees and our guests is our highest priority. We have zero tolerance for guests who behave recklessly in our restaurants and put others at risk. No team members or guests were physically injured, and we are actively supporting local law enforcement in their investigation of the incident.”
The brawl landed on the front page of the national conversation precisely because of its timing. Just twenty-four hours earlier, U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro had stepped to a podium and put parents on notice.
“Starting today, my office will aggressively prosecute parents under D.C.’s curfew law,” Pirro announced Friday. “It involves contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
This statute makes it unlawful for an adult to enable, facilitate, or permit a minor to engage in delinquent acts.”
Pirro specifically named the Navy Yard as a repeat trouble zone.
“Teen takeovers have disrupted neighborhoods, forced businesses to close temporarily, and diverted valuable law enforcement resources from the residents of the District,” she said.
“These incidents have become increasingly common in areas such as Navy Yard and NoMa and are often accompanied by criminal conduct, including assaults, robberies, fights, and other disorderly behavior.”
The U.S. Attorney made the stakes unmistakably plain for parents.
“We’re going to charge them, and if you drop your kid off and you fail to supervise them or you let them skip school to join the chaos, you are going to face fines, court-ordered classes and possible jail time,” she said.
“Parents, you are not a bystander in this crisis. The taxpayers who were footing the bill by extra policing, cleaning up damaged property, suffering the effects of these illegal gatherings, whether it be noise or fights or robberies or chaos, are done starting now,” Pirro added.
“Parents, you’re paying the bills and if you know where your teen is and what your teen is doing, and you allow them to continue their conduct and continue to allow them to flourish, then we’re going to prosecute you.”
Adults convicted of contributing to the delinquency of a minor under D.C. law face a maximum sentence of six months behind bars.
Pirro confirmed the Metro Police and the FBI are both investigating the ongoing teen takeover activity.
Pirro is scheduled to hold a follow-up news conference alongside FBI Assistant Director in Charge Darren B. Cox of the Washington Field Office.
Not every community voice backed the federal approach. Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner for Navy Yard Nic Wilson argued that leaning on law enforcement and parental prosecution will not reverse the trend.
“Policing and putting people in jail is actually kind of how we got to where we’re at now,” Wilson said, according to WJLA.
“There’s no one at home because they got locked up and thrown in jail. We’re not going to police our way out of this situation.” Wilson labeled Pirro’s prosecutorial strategy as “federal overreach.”
Navy Yard resident Ken Ledet, who said he visits the same Chipotle several times a week, told reporters the Saturday scene was no longer surprising.
“It’s not shocking anymore, since this has become routine on Saturdays and Friday nights, but it’s disappointing to know this is still happening,” he said.
Ledet added, “I really think people’s parents need to get more involved and understanding where their children are.”
