Some US intelligence officials reportedly questioned the credibility of an alleged Iranian assassination threat that prompted an extraordinary security operation to secretly move President Donald Trump between aircraft following last month’s NATO summit.
Current and former US officials told The Washington Post that intelligence concerning a potential Iranian plot against Trump originated with the Israeli government and was subsequently provided to the CIA.
Some American intelligence analysts reportedly considered the information unconvincing and communicated their reservations to Trump administration officials.
One official familiar with the intelligence said analysts did not consider it particularly compelling, while another source characterized the information as “Israeli-derived” and “low-confidence.”
Despite those reservations, security officials took extensive precautions to protect Trump as he departed Turkey on July 8.
Trump was secretly moved off a legacy Air Force One aircraft and transported aboard an airport catering truck to an Air Force C-32A, which then carried the president and a small group of aides to the United Kingdom.
The operation was conducted without the knowledge of journalists and even some senior White House officials traveling with the presidential delegation.
The legacy Air Force One continued its flight with journalists and White House staff aboard, effectively functioning as a decoy while Trump traveled separately.
“As the President has said, he has faced numerous threats on his life, including ones from Iran, and every measure is taken to ensure his safety,” an unnamed US official told The Post.
“The United States Secret Service’s core mission is protecting the President, which they achieved,” the official added.
The latest reporting adds new questions about the intelligence that prompted the elaborate security operation.
Trump originally traveled to the NATO summit in Turkey aboard a Boeing 747-8 donated to the US by Qatar.
He later announced that he would use an older Air Force One aircraft for his departure, publicly saying he was doing so “for old times’ sake.”
Behind the scenes, however, security officials were preparing the more complicated operation involving the C-32A.
Trump boarded the older aircraft in view of cameras before he was secretly moved using the catering vehicle, according to the Daily Mail.
The C-32A subsequently transported Trump and several aides to the UK.
According to the report, some current and former US officials believe the episode could fit into a broader pattern in which Israeli intelligence warnings are intended not only to provide information but potentially influence US policy decisions.
Those officials suggested Israel could have had an interest in shaping Trump’s approach toward both Iran and Turkey.
The suggestion has not been established as fact, and the reported assassination intelligence did concern a country that has previously threatened Trump and other former US officials.
Israel considers Iran a major security threat while also harboring concerns about Turkey and the increasingly close relationship between Washington and Ankara, according to the report.
Trump has maintained a close relationship with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
One former US official told The Post that the intelligence warning “fit a broader pattern” of Israeli reporting that some American officials believe can be intended to influence presidential decision-making.
Other details surrounding the security operation have also raised questions about how seriously officials viewed the alleged threat.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio reportedly remained aboard the legacy Air Force One despite having been briefed about both the Israeli intelligence and the plan to secretly move Trump.
Another US official reportedly questioned the seriousness of the threat given the extensive security presence surrounding the NATO summit in Turkey.
Democrats are now seeking additional information about the intelligence and the administration’s response.
“I am very curious about the extent to which the Israeli-provided intelligence was not only credible but independently verifiable,” Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) told The Post.
“I have no doubt that Iran would like to see the president gone, but this all seems a little fantastical,” he added.
Trump addressed the secret plane switch Tuesday and said he agreed to the operation after receiving a request from the Secret Service.
“I just follow what they’d like me to do,” Trump said. “They wanted me to go on a different flight, a different plane, equal safety, so I do it. I do what they say.”
Trump also indicated that he did not personally scrutinize the intelligence behind the decision.
“I guess there was a threat out there. I didn’t really ask too much about it. I get a lot of threats,” Trump said.
The president even suggested the smaller aircraft carrying him may have faced greater danger than the plane used as a decoy.
“I think actually the plane that I flew on was at greater risk!” Trump said. “I think it was at greater risk because that would be the plane, I think that they would be more likely to go for it.”
Trump has repeatedly discussed threats from Iran against his life and said following the flight that he remains a leading target of Tehran.
