More than 60 U.S. attack aircraft have been spotted at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base in Jordan, fueling speculation that President Donald Trump could be preparing military action against Iran.
Satellite imagery reviewed by The New York Times shows roughly triple the usual number of fighter jets stationed at the base.
At least 68 cargo planes have reportedly landed there since Sunday, alongside drones, helicopters, F-35 stealth aircraft and newly installed air defense systems.
The buildup comes as Trump has openly signaled that military action remains on the table if negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program fail.
“You’re going to be finding out over the next, maybe, 10 days,” Trump told reporters Friday. He later suggested a maximum timeline of 15 days.
Indirect negotiations between U.S. and Iranian officials in Geneva lasted more than three hours earlier this week, according to CNN. Iranian negotiators said both sides agreed on “a set of guiding principles,” while a U.S. official described talks as ongoing, noting that “there are still a lot of details to discuss.”
A European diplomat briefed on the talks told The Washington Post that Iran remains unwilling to negotiate on its right to enrich uranium. The diplomat also warned that an expanded conflict could be “bloody” and risk pulling additional countries into the crisis, either deliberately or by miscalculation.
Anonymous Jordanian officials told The New York Times that American aircraft are stationed at the base under a long-standing defense agreement between the two countries. They expressed hope that negotiations would prevent escalation.
White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt reiterated that diplomacy is the administration’s preferred path but declined to rule out force.
“I’m not going to set deadlines on behalf of the president,” Leavitt told reporters, adding that there are “many reasons and arguments” supporting potential action.
A U.S. official speaking anonymously confirmed that Trump’s top national security advisers met in the Situation Room this week to discuss options related to Iran.
The aircraft buildup is one of the clearest public indicators yet of heightened military readiness in the region. However, defense analysts caution that troop and aircraft movements do not automatically signal imminent strikes, per the Daily Mail.
Such deployments can serve as leverage in negotiations or as deterrence against regional aggression.
Trump has previously used military posturing to pressure adversaries during diplomatic standoffs.
Still, the scale of the recent deployment has drawn attention, particularly given the concentration of advanced aircraft and support assets at a single strategic location.
The situation remains fluid. While talks continue in Europe, the visible surge of U.S. military assets in Jordan underscores the administration’s willingness to escalate if negotiations stall.
Whether the buildup signals an imminent strike or a high-stakes negotiating tactic may become clearer in the coming days, as Trump’s self-imposed timeline approaches and diplomatic channels remain active.
